Orange County Assault Defense Lawyer
Domestic assault is a domestic violence crime that occurs between spouses, family members or people who are involved in an intimate relationship with one another. Domestic assault involves an individual
attempting to cause harm to another person, and having the ability to do it. This can include threats of violence, or true attempts to commit violence.
When an individual successfully commits domestic assault, then domestic battery is the result. If you have been accused of assault as part of a domestic violence charge, speak with an Orange County criminal defense attorney immediately.
What Are the Penalties for Assault in California?
The penalties for domestic assault depend largely on the details of the incident pertaining to the victim's age, mental wellness, prior record of the offender, severity of the crime and more. The prosecution may decide whether a case of domestic assault is a misdemeanor or felony.
Misdemeanor assault offenses are punishable by:
- Jail terms up to 6 months
- Hefty fines
- 40 hours of community service
- Full 52-week domestic violence prevention counseling
- An order of no contact with the victim of the crime
Felony charges are much the same, but jail time imposition can range anywhere from 3 months to 3 years depending on the severity of the crime itself.
Possible Defenses in Assault Cases
Have you been falsely accused of assault? If so, do not lost hope. There are several possible defense tactics that can be used when counteracting assault allegations. The main assault and battery defenses include:
- Claiming Self-Defense- You can prove that there was a threat of unlawful force against you and you had fear of harm. You may also be required to prove that there was no way for you to escape the dangerous situation and that there was no provocation on your part.
- You Were Defending Others- You had fear that harm was coming to another person
- You Were Defending Your Property- Your property or home was about to be illegally invaded or something was stolen directly off your person and you were trying to recover it.
- You Were Given Consent- If the person voluntarily gave their consent to a particular act of assault. This defense is only accepted within certain jurisdictions.
Dependable Assault Defense in Orange County
Looking for an attorney for your assault case in Orange County? Attorney Frances Prizzia has extensive experience defending the accused in domestic assault cases as well as other types of assault throughout Southern California. You should also know that Attorney Prizzia is fluent in Tagalog. The
Law Office of Frances Prizzia is dedicated to building a solid defense based on the details of your case, and we will work closely with every client. We understand the challenges of being falsely accused, and our focus is on fighting for your freedom and your cause. Our high quality level of representation and legal support may minimize your penalties, or could lead to an acquittal when we take your case to trial.